In Home Computer Repair in Montclair, NJ
All Aboard! Get your PC back on track with NJ Metro PC Repairs.
Professional In Home Computer Repair In Montclair NJ, Essex County And Bergen County.
At NJ Metro PC Repairs, we make computer repairs easy and convenient by coming to your home or office. Our experienced technicians will diagnose and fix your laptop, desktop, or other device right on-site.
Whether it's software issues like viruses and crashes or hardware problems like the blue screen of death - we'll get your computer running as fast as the day it was purchased - so if you're experiencing any computer problems, call today to schedule an appointment for prompt, professional in-home computer repair.
Are In Home Computer Repair Services More Expensive Than Using A Local Computer Repair Shop?
Our in-home computer repair service is a first-class experience that pampers you and your device. The modest hourly premium (compared to local computer repair shops) buys you an unmatched level of personalized care and attention.
For $125 per hour, our technicians treat you like royalty. We thoroughly diagnose your specific issues, explain solutions in detail, and ensure you're completely satisfied. No crowded shops, rushed technicians, or waiting around for your computer.
With repairs made conveniently at your home or office, you'll feel the difference our white-glove service provides. We know your time is valuable, so our undivided attention is focused on delivering efficient, stress and hassle-free fixes tailored just for you.
Why Choose In Home Computer Service?
- No drop off or pick up needed - We come to you
- Avoid being without your computer for days waiting on “updates” from your local repair shop
- No struggle to reconnect printers, Internet, webcams, etc. after your service. We'll professionally connect all your peripheral devices back to your PC.
Undivided Attention From A Fully-Qualified Computer Technician:
- Most issues fixed in just one visit
- Personalized solutions tailored to reflect how YOU use your computer
No Hidden Fees - Just Transparent Pricing:
- Simple hourly rate - no inflated “cost per service” PC repair shop fees
- No markups on parts - we provide receipts.
For personalized solutions from a company committed to your complete satisfaction, call us at (973) 936-0406 to schedule your in-home computer repair appointment today.
Popular In-Home Computer Repair Services in Montclair, NJ
Our experienced technicians offer a wide range of popular home computer repair, training, and tech support services in Montclair, including:
In Home Computer Services
- Software troubleshooting & repair for issues like crashes, freezes, and errors
- Virus & malware removal / internet security assessment with antivirus installation / cybersecurity audit
- Speed up slow computers / Make your computer faster with a comprehensive computer tune up
- Mobile phone & tablet software support (iOS, Android)
- Fresh OS reinstalls (restoring operating systems to factory settings)
- Email help & Outlook setup & support
- Support for all major computer brands & models
- Fixing Windows crashes, blue screens, startup issues & errors
- Data backup to protect your files
- Data Recovery from damaged computers, or not-working computers, drives & devices
- New computer setup including data migration
- Consultations before purchasing new computers or other electronic devices
In Home Computer Support & Computer Training Services
- Computer help for seniors
- Computer training for beginners
- Microsoft Windows training (or Mac OS training) for advanced users of Windows 10, Windows 11 or Mac OS
Home Network Support, Including Setup of Smart Devices or Smart Home Devices
- Home networking, printer & device connectivity
- Wi-Fi network setup, including modems, routers, Wi-Fi extenders & mesh networks
- Smart home device connectivity (Amazon Alexa, Google Nest, Apple Homepod, Honeywell Home, Facebook portal, TP-link Kasa, Amazon Smart Plug, Brilliant Control, etc.)
Hardware Upgrades & Installation
- RAM, hard drive or SSD upgrades for better speed and/or more storage
Scheduling On-Site Repairs & What to Expect During Your In Home Computer Repair Appointment
- Call to schedule an appointment at your convenience. Our hourly rate is $125, with a 1 hour minimum – billed in quarter hour increments after that.
- Our friendly technician will arrive at the scheduled time, confirm the scope of work and your expectations for the visit, then begin working to accomplish your goals.
- They'll work quickly and efficiently, making every effort to complete your project in a single visit, and answer any questions you have along the way.
- Payment is handled at the end of the call. We accept cash, check, and all major cards.
- All labor is guaranteed for 90 days. Warranty follow-ups are handled quickly, often same-day by means of remote computer support.
In Home Computer Repair FAQ:
How soon can I schedule an in home service appointment?
Most appointments are available within 48 hours of your request. Same day service is often possible when a technician is available.
Do you offer after hours or emergency repair services?
Yes, after hours and emergency service is available if we have a technician willing and able to assist on short notice.
Do I need to be home during the computer repair appointment?
We’ll need you to be home to let in the technician, answer questions, provide information and feedback, and to pay at the end of the appointment, but brief absences (such as to walk the dog, or pick the kids up from school) won’t be an issue.
How soon can you come for an emergency repair?
Emergency repairs can often be handled same day if a technician is available. We'll make every effort to assist as quickly as possible.
Service Area & Logistics
What areas do you serve for in home computer repair?
Upper Saddle River
Can you pick up and deliver devices?
At the client’s request, or for computer repairs that will require many hours to complete, we do offer pick up and delivery service. However, because this requires two separate visits, there is a 1 hour minimum fee for both the pick up and delivery.
Pricing & Payment
What are your rates and fees for in home computer repair?
Our rate is $125 per hour, with a 1 hour minimum. Time is rounded to the nearest quarter hour after the first hour.
What methods of payment do you accept?
We accept cash, checks, and all major credit and debit cards.
How much does it cost to repair your PC?
Most repairs are completed within the first hour, and very few exceed two hours, so our average cost for computer repair in home is between $125-$250, depending on the scope of work.
How long will an average in-home repair appointment take?
Most in home computer repairs are completed within the first hour, but this largely depends on the work to be performed. If time or cost is a concern, a computer technician will be happy to provide free phone consultation to estimate the time required for your specific project.
Computer Repair Warranty
How long is the labor warranty on repairs?
Our technicians guarantee their labor for 90 days after the repair is completed. If the same issue reoccurs within 90 days through no fault of the customer, we will address it promptly at no additional labor cost.
Device & Brand Support
What computer brands do you repair?
We service all brands of computers, including (but not limited to): Dell, HP, Lenovo, Apple (Mac), ASUS, Acer, Microsoft Surface, Toshiba and MSI.
Do you service Apple/Mac devices?
Yes, we repair and support all Apple brand computers and Mac devices including Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac Mini, and more.
Do you repair tablets and smartphones?
We provide software support, training, and troubleshooting for smartphones and tablets, but do not physically repair screens or hardware.
Can you repair my printer?
We can set up printers, troubleshoot connectivity and software issues, and provide training. We do not do physical printer repairs.
Do you repair game consoles like Xbox or PlayStation?
We do not repair game consoles, but can provide initial setup assistance if needed.
Can you retrieve deleted files?
Yes, we can recover deleted files and data from computers and mobile devices - even broken or non-functioning computers, provided there is no physical damage to the drive itself.
For physically damaged drives, we partner with a leading data recovery firm that has a Class A clean room to recover data from physically damaged drives. This includes recovery from computers, tablets, phones, USB drives, RAID drives, SD cards and more.
Through our partnership, customers can take advantage of benefits like free shipping, a free quote listing recoverable files before payment, and discounted pricing. Customers pay our partner directly and receive the original invoice. We do not mark up their costs.
If you've lost data, we recommend immediately disconnecting the affected drive or device from its power source to prevent further data loss, and calling for a free phone consultation to answer any further questions you might have.
Computer Setup & Purchase
How much does it cost to have someone set up a computer?
Our fee for new computer setup assistance is $125 per hour, with a typical setup taking 1-2 hours. This includes unboxing, physical setup, software installation, data transfer, and configuring settings.
What needs to be done to set up a new computer?
Typical computer setup involves connecting peripherals, installing software like antivirus and Office, transferring data from old devices, connecting to networks and printers, optimizing settings, and configuring user accounts. Our technicians handle all these steps.
Where do I start when buying a computer?
First decide on key criteria like screen size, operating system, processing power, storage space, and budget. We can provide consultation to help select the right computer for your needs and lifestyle.
What is the best computer to buy for home use?
There is no one "best" computer for everyone – the right choice depends on your budget, needs, and intended use case.
When shopping for a new home computer, here are some key factors to consider:
Base Specifications for Average Home User:
- Processor: Look for the latest generation Intel Core i5 or equivalent for a balance of performance and price.
- RAM: Aim for at least 8GB of RAM to ensure smooth multitasking.
- Storage: A minimum of 500GB SSD is recommended for fast boot times and responsive applications.
These specs will deliver good performance for things like web browsing, office work, streaming, and basic photo editing. Faster processors, more RAM, and bigger solid state drives may be required for more advanced uses.
Price Range Expectations:
- Laptop: Expect to spend between $500-$650.
- Desktop Tower: Typically ranges from $400-$600 (monitor may not be included).
- All-in-One: These generally cost between $800-$1200.
Important Features to Consider:
Consider which features are important to you based on your personal preferences and needs.
- Screen Size: Larger screens are better for visibility and multitasking, while smaller screens are more portable.
- Touch Screen: Useful for hands-on interaction, especially with Windows 10/11.
- Backlit Keyboard: Great for typing in low-light conditions.
- Dedicated Number Pad: Essential for those who frequently input numbers.
- Optical Drive: Consider if you plan to use CDs or DVDs.
- Glossy vs Matte Display: Matte reduces glare, while glossy may have more vibrant colors.
- Weight: Important if you plan to carry the device around.
- Webcam: Necessary for video calls.
- USB Ports: Look for multiple and various types (e.g., USB 3.0, USB-C) for connecting devices.
- Keyboard Depth and Feel: Test for comfort to avoid unnecessary fatigue during extended typing sessions.
- Keyboard Layout: Ensure it has a layout you find intuitive and user-friendly.
- Operating System: Choose between Windows, macOS, or Linux based on compatibility with your software needs. Don't overpay for Pro versions with features you won't use.
- Included Software: Be wary of unnecessary software bundles that can bloat the system.
- Warranties: Consider the value and necessity before purchasing extended warranties. Skip extended warranties and service plans which offer little benefit especially on inexpensive models.
Different Use Cases for Computers:
Those editing video/photos, gaming, or doing intensive multitasking may want upgrades like:
- Data Storage: If you plan to store lots of media (photos, music or videos), consider increasing SSD capacity.
- Graphics Intensive Tasks: You may want to upgrade to a model with a dedicated graphics card if you’ll be using the computer for graphically intense tasks like PC gaming, video editing, or graphic design.
- High-Performance Needs: Consider upgrading to an Intel Core i7 processor or equivalent for faster performance, or if you plan to multi-task with resource hungry software (photoshop, premiere, CAD). This processor upgrade should be paired with additional RAM as well – a minimum of 16 GB for best performance.
- Microsoft Office: Remember, MS Office is typically not included and may need to be purchased separately.
- Antivirus Software: Instead of default options like Norton or McAfee, consider alternatives like ESET for enhanced security.
How often should you replace your home computer?
For mainstream use, plan to replace your home computer every 4-6 years to maintain optimal performance. Faster replacement may be needed for gamers/power users. Look for slowdowns and outdated components as signs it's time.
How do you tell if your computer is getting too old?
Clues your computer is getting too old include slow performance, inability to update software/OS, insufficient storage/memory, outdated ports, and difficulty supporting peripherals. Frequent crashes or freezing can also indicate aging issues.
What to do with old computer when you get a new one?
When replacing your home computer, consider selling or donating if it still works. If not working, remove and recycle any usable parts, then dispose of the rest responsibly to avoid environmental impact. Data should be securely wiped before disposal.
What is a good price for a computer?
- For a mainstream, no-frills home laptop, a good price is $500-$700.
- For a similar desktop PC, look for $400-$600 (without a monitor).
- Similar All-in-one computers are available in the $800-$1200 range.
What is the average price of a computer 2023?
- In 2023, the average selling price for a Windows laptop is around $625.
- The average for a desktop is approximately $550 (without monitor).
- Apple computers carry a premium - average MacBook pricing is $1200 and iMacs around $1300.
Security & Protection
How much should I pay for virus protection?
For robust virus protection, we recommend budgeting $70-$80 per year per computer for ESET NOD32 Antivirus, which strikes a great balance of strong security and value.
Is it worth it to pay for an antivirus?
Yes, third party antivirus like ESET provides essential protection lacking in built-in options like Windows Defender. The $70 annual investment enhances security and peace of mind.
Do I need antivirus if I have Windows Defender?
We recommend adding ESET on top of Windows Defender for more complete malware protection, reduced system impact, and additional security features lacking in Defender.
What is the downside of Windows Defender?
Downsides of relying solely on Windows Defender include lower malware detection rates than paid antivirus, a bigger performance hit on system resources, and fewer useful extra features.
Which version of Windows is the most secure?
Windows 10 and 11 offer similar underlying security when fully updated. Use third party antivirus for optimal protection on either version. Windows 11 requires more stringent hardware.
Are there any cons to Windows 11?
Potential downsides of Windows 11 include higher system requirements, UI changes that frustrate some users, and compatibility issues with some older software and devices.
Which is more stable Windows 10 or 11?
Windows 10 is generally seen as more stable and familiar for many, while Windows 11 has had some bugs but continues maturing with updates. Try both to choose your preferred.
We look forward to helping with your computer, network, or IT project.
To schedule computer repair service in Montclair or surrounding areas, please call us at (973) 936-0406.
NJ Metro PC Repairs
44 Union Street - Upper Office
Montclair, NJ 07054
Appointment Required, No Walk-Ins Please